The Clean Coalition is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to accelerate the transition to local energy systems through innovative policies and programs that deliver cost-effective renewable energy, strengthen local economies, foster environmental sustainability, and provide energy resilience.
Ultimately, the Clean Coalition envisions the United States being 100% powered by renewable energy, primarily from local sources. To make this goal a reality, the Clean Coalition is working to achieve the following objectives by 2020:
- From 2020 onward, at least 50% of all new electricity generation in the United States will be from local sources.
- Locally generated electricity does not travel over high voltage transmission lines to get from where it is generated to where it is consumed
- From 2020 onward, at least 80% of all new electricity generation in the United States will be from renewable sources.
- By 2020, policies and programs will be well established for ensuring successful fulfillment of the other two objectives.
- Policies will reflect the full value of local renewable energy.
- Programs will prove the superiority of local energy systems in terms of economics, environment, and resilience.
We are building this future by:
- Unleashing CLEAN — Through designing and implementing Clean Local Energy Accessible Now (CLEAN) Programs, we help utilities, cities, and states bring cost-effective clean local energy online
- Distributed Generation + Intelligent Grid (DG+IG) Initiative — In partnership with utilities and cities, we’re working to design and implement demonstration projects that integrate significant amounts of local renewable energy generation with intelligent grid solutions, in order to improve the efficiency and reliability of local electric grids
- Advancing Policy — We work with legislators, utilities, public interest groups, and other partners to develop, enact, and implement smarter energy policies. We also engage in regulatory processes on the federal, state, and local levels to advance clean local energy
We believe in expanding the use of renewable energy by creating fair, transparent, and effective policies and programs. Across America, clean local energy can provide more reliable, more affordable power for consumers. Smart policy will also spur economic development and help communities turn underused spaces — from rooftops to parking lots — into energy-generating spaces.