The Clean Coalition is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to accelerate the transition to renewable energy and a modern grid through technical, policy, and project development expertise.
The Clean Coalition drives policy innovation to remove barriers to procurement and interconnection of distributed energy resources (DER) such as local renewables, energy storage, and demand response. The Clean Coalition also establishes programs and market mechanisms that realize the full potential of integrating these solutions. In addition to being active in numerous proceedings before state and federal agencies throughout the United States, the Clean Coalition collaborates with utilities and other load-serving entities, as well as with municipalities and other jurisdictions, to create near-term deployment opportunities that prove the technical and economic viability of local DER.
Our vision: 25×25
Ultimately, the Clean Coalition envisions the United States being 100% powered by renewable energy, substantially from local sources. To make this goal a reality, the Clean Coalition is working to achieve these objectives by 2025:
- From 2025 onward, at least 80% of all electricity from newly added generation capacity in the United States will be from renewable energy sources.
- From 2025 onward, at least 25% of all electricity from newly added generation capacity in the United States will be from local renewable energy sources.
- Locally generated electricity does not travel over the transmission grid to get from the location it is generated to where it is consumed.
- By 2025, policies and programs are well established for ensuring successful fulfillment of the other two objectives.
- Policies reflect the full value of local renewable energy.
- Programs prove the superiority of local energy systems in terms of economics, environment, and resilience — as well as timeliness.
We are building this future through:
- Utility Renewables Programs — Working with electric utilities and industry stakeholders to design and implement programs that bring local renewable energy online.
- State Renewables Policy — Advancing state level policy that accelerates adoption of local renewable energy.
- Grid Modernization Policy — Working to modernize America’s power system by improving grid planning, access, and solutions.
- Community Microgrids — Working with electric utilities to design and implement community microgrids that prove local renewables provide a reliable and cost-effective foundation for a modern grid.
- Peninsula Advanced Energy Community (PAEC) — Leading a groundbreaking initiative to streamline policies and showcase projects that facilitate local renewables and other advanced energy solutions.
- Transmission Access Charges (TAC) Campaign — Leading a campaign to remedy an unfair charge on local renewable energy in California.
We believe in expanding the use of renewable energy by creating fair, transparent, and effective policies and programs. Across America, clean local energy can provide more reliable, more affordable power for consumers. Smart policy will also spur economic development and help communities turn underused spaces — from rooftops to parking lots — into energy-generating spaces.
The Clean Coalition operates according to these guiding principles:
- Passion/mission: We’re a mission-driven organization comprised of people deeply dedicated to accelerating the transition to renewable energy and a modern grid. Our mission drives everything we do.
- Effectiveness: In everything we do, we aim, plan, and execute — with persistence and commitment.
- Constant learning and improvement: Just as we’re aiming to improve our electricity system, Clean Coalition team members constantly strive to improve.
- Innovation: We’re visionary, creative, and ahead of the game.
- Collaboration: We succeed through collaboration and cross-fertilization.
- Trust: We achieve our mission through a high-trust workplace.
- Kindness and caring: This is how we treat the planet, its people, and each other